Monday 23 July 2012

summer smoothies for happy tummies

It’s hot. Oh so very hot.

Now i’m not one to complain about the heat. In fact, I’m a junkie for it. Having spent over half my life in almost desert like conditions, I thrive in this weather.

There is an issue with the heat though… it doesn’t promote creativity in the oven. Granted I’m loving this weather, but I don’t want to be standing in front of a hot oven on top of things. Do you get me? Are you understanding where I’m coming from?

So here it is, something light & refreshing. Something… a little naughty.

I’m thinking honeydew melon. I’m thinking sweet, grainy pear. I’m thinking a bit of ginger to give it a little bite. Maybe a spoonful of honey to sweeten it up, & I’m definitely thinking a splash of rum to bring on the giggles.

What?! Can’t a girl like a little rum in her smoothie?

I’m telling you, laying down on the couch with my feet up, all the windows in the house open, a cool summer breeze drifting in at dusk, an ice cold refreshing smoothing in my hand… now the only thing I’m missing is the view of the ocean. I don’t worry about that though, I know that I’ll have one of those by noon tomorrow.

Oh, the sweet sweet advantage of living in such ab eautiful country, you’re never more than a couple hours away from laying on a beach listening to the soothing sound of the sea as the waves roll in.

Jealous?

Ingredients:
- 300g honeydew melon
- 15g root ginger
- 150g pear
- 1 tbs honey
- 60ml light rum
- a handful of ice cubes

Directions:
1. wash & peal the fruit & ginger. Combine all the ingredients in a blender & press go! Let the fun begin