Monday 23 July 2012

guacamole - gluten free !!!!

Guacamole… not many things to say about it. Simple, delicious and versatile, we used it for our chicken burritos. It can also accompany a variety of dishes or be used as a dip for chips and vegetables. Easy to make, the only thing that is important is to have nice ripe avocados that will mash simply with a fork.
- mel
– I’d like to add that I think mel has really understated this dish. Yes, ok, technically it’s not a main… but I couldn’t stop eating it! I actually made it again today & took it into work, nothing to go with it, just guacamole all on it’s own… I kind of feel bad for my colleagues since I like to put double the garlic, chili, onions & lime that mel puts. What can I say, I’m a big fan of the intense! My point is, make it, it’s super delicious & incredibly healthy. — nickey x
Ingredients:
- 3 ripe avocados
- 3 spring onions, finelly chopped
- 1 1/2 red chillies finelly chopped
- juice of 1 & 1/2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, preferably roasted & finely diced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tsp paprica
- pinch cayene pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
Directions
1. If you opt for the roasted garlic you are in for a treat… Cut the top of the garlic head just enough so that each clove is slightly exposed, wrap in tin foil and roast for 30 mins at 180. Allow to cool.
2. In a mixing bowl mash the peeled avocados with a fork and then mix in all the ingredients and simply stir until incorporated.
Tips: Roasting the garlic results in an amazing, soft, sweet garlic cloves that dont have the bite of fresh ones. Can be used for many recipies or simply spread a mashed one over a slice of toasted bread with some olive oil.