Friday 22 October 2010

Wayne Rooney staying at Manchester United

Wayne Rooney staying at Manchester United
A contract extension for Wayne Rooney seemed the unlikeliest outcome following the revelations regarding the way the relationship between the player and his club had deteriorated. First Sir Alex Ferguson conceded Rooney wanted to leave and then the phenomenal forward himself confirmed of his desire to quit United. But the fact of the matter is that Rooney has ultimately agreed a new contract at Old Trafford.

A statement on United’s official website read: “Wayne Rooney has agreed a new five-year contract to stay at Manchester United until at least June 2015.”

And it was further stated: “The agreement follows intensive discussions between the Club and the player’s representatives and means that by the end of his contract Wayne will have been a Manchester United player for 11 years.”

Sir Alex Ferguson & Wayne Rooney

Sir Alex Ferguson & Wayne Rooney - picture courtesy of manutd.com

Rooney delighted with new deal

Rooney told MUTV, shortly after signing the new contract: “Yeah, I’m delighted. There has been a bit of controversy over the timing of it all. But I’m delighted it’s finally signed. Hopefully I can move on and get back fit and get back playing again.”

Rooney was also asked to reflect on Ferguson’s role in convincing him to stay following the drama of this past week: “It’s been difficult for him as well, I’m sure it has. He’s got to look after the club and he was trying to convince me to sign a new deal. We spoke about it and he has been fantastic. He’s a great manager and I’ve said that many times. He’s one of the big reasons why I joined United – to work under him and be successful. I’ve managed to do that. I’m hoping in the next few years we can do that again.”

And when asked to give a message for the fans, Wazza said: “I’m sure the fans are upset with everything that they’ve heard in the media. But my message is that I care for this club and I want to be here. That’s important to know. I want to continue being successful at this club. Some fans might not take to it too quickly. It might take time. But I will give 100 per cent on the pitch. I want to try and build that relationship back up. I hope that we can work together on this and try to do the best thing for Manchester United and win trophies here.”